Family

Family

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day Four - Wednesday

November 24, 2010: It was a busy evening in the unit with the addition of more patients. Brandon's room showed signs of an active night when I went in this morning.  They placed a feeding tube yesterday. Of course what goes in, must come out.  When I told his nighttime nurse that his agitation episode late last evening was triggered by soiling his bed, she gave me that, "right - he's just combative - you're dreaming" look.  This morning I think she is a believer. The linen bin and the garbage receptacles were overflowing, glove boxes empty, the bed looking the remnants of a war zone, Brandon all sideways in bed, collection bags bulging, another tube inserted to assist with removal of the processed nutrition, and as is her preference, the Propofol level high to keep him completely flaccid.

It may seem a simple thing, but it is the simple things that keep us hopefully optimistic.  If he can have this level of recognition and appropriate response (trying to get out of bed and reaching for the soiled area) with Propofol at 40-50 mcg/kg/min, it gives you hope that he may be even more appropriate when they wean him off the anesthesia.  We hold on to one of life's most ignored natural truths, there's always hope. 

The fever continues and he is beginning to have additional physical changes that are the expected result of a continuing coma.  That is why I continue to pray for staff that are willing to treat the entire patient over treating lab results and beeping monitors. We have had exceptional care from very conscientious practitioners.  I just wish all of them would carefully consider their actions on the overall outcome for my son.  The physicians are hoping to successfully remove the anesthesia and properly manage the pain with meds in an effort to allow Brandon to eliminate the need for the ventilator and start giving us a more accurate neuro evaluation. Until then we continue to expect the best and rejoice at all the small positive changes.

We are all eagerly awaiting word on Kassi and her highly anticipated discharge from Valley View.  I sit here looking over I-15 in Murray and I am reminded why I love Southern Utah.  The drivers are hoping for 15 miles per hour and a vehicle should not try doing a 360 on a packed Interstate.  The storm continues to move south and we are hoping Kassi's discharge will allow for her trip to be with Brandon will be in time to allow her to travel on on dry roads before another storm decides to move in.

5 comments:

  1. Our thoughts are with you and your family. hope you all recover soon.

    Hurricane City Parks Department

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our thoughts and prayers have been with your family. Please let us know if there's anything we can do here at home to help out.
    Love, Nick and Heidi Wright/Family

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for updating on your blog. I blog often and know how mentally taxing it is to replay such strong emotions as you write. Our family prays for you during this beautiful time of year. I am sure there are miracles coming your way... and that angels are with Brandon and his family, both seen and unseen. Hang in there...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We were so sad to hear the news of the accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with all of you. If we can do anything,please let us know. We are so grateful for the blog so we can follow the progress and miracles of Brandon and other family members.We love all of you.I know your family will receive so many blessings and miracles!!! Ken and Diane Holmes family

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leanne,
    My heart goes out to you and your family. I saw Matt at the bus stop yesterday and he let me hug him. Kids are so resilient. He seemed to be handling all of this rather well. I love you and my family keeps your family in all of our prayers. Please let me know if I can help you in any way.
    Love, Megan

    ReplyDelete