Family

Family

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Day Fourteen - Saturday - Part One

By Kassi Kuhlmann:
   
  This is my first blog and I hope that it turns out half as good as Tom and Leanne's. First things first; I would like to THANK EVERYONE for the prayers and support, I don't think Brandon and I really ever realized how much we are loved and cared for. It's truly amazing to see everyone step up and remind us that we are not in this alone, so again, thank you.

  Last night we brought Branson up to see Brandon.  I was a little nervous at first because of how excited he got on Thursday to just see me.  I could just imagine what he would do with his "little man".  When my mom brought Branson in Brand smiled and said "hey bud" and Branson laughed and said "dah-dee dah-dee". They spent the next couple minutes kissing and hugging each other. Brandon even fed Branson pudding!

  Every day I notice more and more of the mannerisms Brand would do before the accident and I get so excited. The way he sleeps with his arms folded or tucked in above his head, the way he rubs his nose then sniffs, How he pops his knuckles,wrists, and elbows. I know these are just silly little things but they are the ones that give me hope. Brandon has always been so sweet to me and it amazes me that he still is. On Thursday when i came to visit he wanted me to lay down and rest and he would sit in his wheelchair. He also hadn't eaten in three days and they finally gave him one Oreo ( If you know Brand you know that he would kill a man for an Oreo) he took one bite then handed it to me and said "here this is for you". I had to choke back tears because here is my husband starving and all he cares about is making sure i get fed. He has always given me the last bite. Last night I was scratching Brandon's back and he told me to stop. I asked why and he said " because its not fair you always scratch my back, I want to scratch yours". I turned around and let him scratch me. He then told me to be quiet and fell asleep while he scratched.

  The nurses and doctors have been debating about taking the feeding tube out but first Brandon had to have 3,000 calories. Last night around nine they told us he was 800 cal. short of their goal. He had till two o clock in the morning to get those last calories, so my dad and I rushed into the cafeteria ordered fries, carrot cake (400 cal. in one slice, yuck), a pint of Ben and Jerry's (270 cal in one serving). We had to wake him up which is like trying to wake the dead (this is not something new he has always been like this). When he finally decided to join us he ate the ice cream like it had no feelings, I could not shovel it in fast enough for him. He ate half the pint which equaled up to around six hundred cal. and the nurses said it was close enough for them. Hooray!  So hopefully today we'll get the tube out of his nose.

  One more story, the last couple of days have been hard. I think I'm finally out of the shock stage and beginning to wrap my head around what actually happened. The last two days I've spent the majority of time crying because it's so hard seeing Brandon confused and vulnerable. He has always been my rock, my tear wiper, the one who keeps away the nightmares. The other night I was skimming through old texts in my phone when I came across one from Brand it read " Kass things take time you need to be patient everything works out, I'm sorry you're having a bad day. Is there anything I can do to help ?" It was perfect, I was having a bad day and I needed to be reminded to be patient, that everything WILL be okay and of course it would be Brandon to remind me. He is my teacher, my best friend, my Knight in ripped blue jeans and boots, my soul mate, my husband, and my angel. He will always be.


  My dad and I stayed with Brandon last night to give Leanne a break.  My poor dad stayed up until about 2am and then he went and slept in the chair by the elevators.  He is so tired and has stayed up so many nights massaging my leg and staying close beside me.

  I also want to tell my parents, all four of them (Kim,Jason,Leanne, and Tom) that I love them so much. You all are so wonderful and I would not be able to function without you. I don't care how old I get I will always need you. I will always be your little girl who needs a hug and a kiss and guidance. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment